SCUP’s regional councils are at the heart of our community and connection. Overseeing programmatic exchanges, people connections, and volunteer and leadership development, the regional councils are helping the higher education community learn more about planning at the grassroots level. Each regional council’s work supports SCUP’s strategic plan adopted by the board of directors.
The program chair provides leadership for the development of the program for the annual regional conference.
- Tenure: The conference chair makes a commitment of at least one year. However, the commitment may last longer.
- Volunteer time: 1 to 5 hours per month
The regional chair and the conference chair appoint the conference program chair.
Each SCUP Regional Council consists of a chair, a membership chair, a professional development chair, a program chair, a sponsor chair, a volunteer chair, and a communications chair.
- Appoint a program committee to assist with the development of the regional conference program.
- Draft and submit language for the theme, topical interest areas, session type(s), and an invitation to submit for the call for proposals, in conjunction with the professional development chair to SCUP regional program coordinator (SCUP staff) for electronic and mail distribution.
- Review proposals with committee to select workshops and concurrent sessions.
- Work with committee to invite plenary speaker(s). The regional chair must approve any financial arrangements prior to invitation. SCUP Policy is a maximum $1,000 honoraria and travel per plenary speaker. Please review fiduciary policies and obtain approval prior to making agreements with plenary speakers.
- Confirm plenary speaker(s) in writing (with a copy to the SCUP office or SCUP can send), including honoraria and expense agreements, if any.
- Supply SCUP with content for the preliminary program and continue to update SCUP regional program coordinator (SCUP staff) with any program changes or additions for the final program.
- Attend the annual regional council retreat at a location known or to be determined based on conference location; SCUP pays for transportation and lodging.
- Ability to exercise your leadership, networking, and communication skills.
- Opportunities to engage in multi-disciplinary industries/positions across SCUP membership.
- Enhanced engagement with SCUP members and higher education leaders in your local/regional/national level
- Exposure of you and your institution/firm locally, regionally, and nationally
- Member in good standing.
- Travel to 2 meetings annually.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of SCUP organization and value of membership and engagement.
- Desire to see others succeed.
- Term: 1 year term, could extend further if necessary to event
- Volunteer time: Average month is 1 to 5 hours per month
- Regional conference committee meetings – video calls
- Travel: Regional Conference 1x per year, Regional Retreat 1x per year at member’s expense
- Possible travel: Regional workshop/symposia at member’s expense
- Orientation as directed by SCUP staff
- Committee role
- Committee professional development as needed
- SCUP Staff Back-up Contact:
- Lakeeya Blue, Event Coordinator
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 734.669.3284
- Email: SCUP Staff Back-up Contact:
- Karen Verhey
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 734-669-3274
- Volunteer Contact: Your regional chair